Monday, May 26, 2014

15 And Counting

It's part of the aging process that I've decided I'm the least fond of. Injuries seem to come more frequently then I can recover from them. Sprained ankles, pulled hamstring, T-Band, groin, back, neck, you think about it too long and it may give  up on me. BUT, I'm not giving up on me.

Working back up to marathon distance for the SF Marathon (www.thesfmarathon.com, +The San Francisco Marathon) is proving a little more of a challenge then I expected.

The starting out slow part wasn't so bad. 6, 7, 8 , 9, 10 miles came pretty east. even getting to 12 was ok. My first 13.1 training run wasn't easy, and I've had 4 or 5 failed attempts at 15 since then. Too hot, too tired, too stressed at work. I've gone out for 15 for the last month and not gotten there. I keep wanting to blame the aging thing, the injury thing, the rehab thing. But there's a bigger issue here, and maybe I need to acknowledge that I'm not running in a vacuum.

And that's the lesson here for me. Running and life are not two separate worlds. They feel like they are, running feels like that place I can go where nothing else counts and I'm out on my own. But it's not. And it in the real world, the last month has been a real challenge. Family health issues, transitions at work, no sleep, added stress. Leaving your troubles behind on a run is a lot easier then it sounds.



So it feels good to have gotten through 15 yesterday, and it's a mirror of what I have to do with the rest of the issues I'm dealing with. I went out slow, 12+ minute splits to start. Got my legs under me, got warmed up, and worked through a plan in my head to finish the run. I was able to break the problem down into digestible pieces, and then take it one split at a time. The longer into the run, the more confident I got, and the greater my ability to press the pace without risking failure. All the same shit I have to do with the rest of my life. Start out slow, evaluate the problem, work out a plan, and then take it one step at a time. The further in I get, the easier it is to see the end, and the more aggressive I can be.


By the time I got to the pier I was half way and I knew I could get to the finish. Even the hills at the end, the toughest part of the run, weren't an issue because I knew I was on track and close to conclusion.

So for me, it was more then a 15 mile run, it was a lesson in perseverance, it was a reminder that I can't ignore what's going on in one part of my life and expect no consequences in the others. It was an accomplishment after a few failures, and it was a great day at the beach.

15 in the books, 16 on deck.

1 comment:

  1. At 50 and only been running for 2 yrs I know the feeling! Have had 8 orthopedic surgeries in past 10 yrs. The most recent in Jan '14 (hip). But managed to run my second 1/2 last month (Boston Run To Remember) in 2:22. First was last Sept '13 in 2:01. Went back to running to soon after surgery against doctors advice. Still recovering. But one of my goals is to run a marathon like yourself. Big commitment but reward is well worth it. Good Luck!
    -Mike
    www.marty427.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete